By David Hunter, Joe Fawcett, Danny Ayers
While the 1st version of this publication was once written, XML used to be a comparatively new language yet already gaining floor speedy and turning into progressively more regularly occurring in an unlimited diversity of purposes. by the point of the second one variation, XML had already confirmed itself to be greater than a passing fad, and was once in truth getting used during the for a very wide variety of makes use of. With the 3rd variation, it was once transparent that XML was once a mature expertise, yet extra vital, it turned obtrusive that the XML panorama was once dividing into numerous parts of workmanship. Now during this variation, we would have liked to categorize the expanding variety of standards surrounding XML, which both use XML or offer performance as well as the XML center specification.
So what's XML? it is a markup language, used to explain the constitution of knowledge in significant methods. at any place that information is input/output, kept, or transmitted from one position to a different, is a possible healthy for XML's features. maybe the main famous functions are web-related (especially with the most recent advancements in hand-held net access—for which a few of the know-how is XML-based). although, there are lots of different non-web-based purposes for which XML is useful—for instance, in its place for (or to counterpoint) conventional databases, or for the move of monetary details among companies. information corporations, in addition to contributors, have additionally been utilizing XML to distribute syndicated information tales and weblog entries.
This booklet goals to coach you all you want to find out about XML—what it really is, the way it works, what applied sciences encompass it, and the way it may top be utilized in numerous events, from easy info move to utilizing XML on your websites. It solutions the basic questions:
* what's XML?
* How do you employ XML?
* How does it work?
* What are you able to use it for, anyway?
This ebook is for those who recognize that it'd be a fantastic proposal to benefit XML yet should not one hundred pc yes why. you could have heard the hype yet have not obvious sufficient substance to determine what XML is and what it may possibly do. you will be utilizing improvement instruments that attempt to disguise the XML at the back of consumer interfaces and scripts, yet you need to be aware of what's particularly occurring behind the curtain. you'll already be by some means keen on internet improvement and doubtless even understand the fundamentals of HTML, even supposing neither of those skills is actually worthy for this book.
What you do not need is wisdom of markup languages commonly. This publication assumes that you are new to the idea that of markup languages, and we have now based it in a manner that are meant to make experience to the newbie and but speedy deliver you to XML professional status.
The be aware "Beginning" within the name refers back to the type of the booklet, instead of the reader's event point. There are varieties of newbie for whom this publication is ideal:
* Programmers who're already accustomed to a few net programming or facts alternate ideas. Programmers during this type will already comprehend many of the innovations mentioned the following, yet you'll find out how you could include XML applied sciences to reinforce these options you now develop.
* these operating in a programming surroundings yet without titanic wisdom or adventure of internet improvement or info alternate purposes. as well as studying how XML applied sciences might be utilized to such functions, you can be brought to a few new techniques that can assist you know how such structures work.
The matters lined during this ebook are prepared to take you from amateur to specialist in as logical a way as shall we. This Fourth version is established in sections in response to a variety of parts of XML services. except you're already utilizing XML, you have to commence via interpreting the creation to XML partially I. From there, you could speedy bounce into particular components of craftsmanship, or, for those who favor, you could learn during the publication so as. remember that there's an excessive amount of overlap in XML, and that the various sections utilize recommendations defined in other places within the book.
* The booklet starts off by way of explaining what precisely XML is and why the felt language like this used to be needed.
* After protecting the why, the following logical step is the how, so it exhibits you ways to create well-formed XML.
* when you comprehend the whys and hows of XML, you will cross directly to a few extra complex belongings you can do whilst growing your XML files, to cause them to not just good shaped, yet legitimate. (And you are going to study what "valid" relatively means.)
* After you are happy with XML and feature obvious it in motion, the e-book unleashes the programmer inside and appears at an XML-based programming language for you to use to rework XML records from one structure to another.
* ultimately, it is important to shop and retrieve XML info from databases. At this element, you are going to research not just the cutting-edge for XML and databases, but additionally the best way to question XML info utilizing an SQL-like syntax referred to as XQuery.
* XML would not fairly be valuable except you'll write courses to learn the information in XML records and create new XML records, so we will come again to programming and think about a few ways in which you are able to do that.
* figuring out the way to software and use XML inside your individual enterprise is something, yet sending that info to a company accomplice or publishing it to the web is one other. you are going to find out about applied sciences that use XML that allow you to ship messages around the web, put up details, and notice companies that supply information.
* because you have all of this information in XML structure, it'd be nice in case you may well simply exhibit it to humans, and it seems you could. you will see an XML model of HTML referred to as XHTML. you will additionally examine a expertise you could already be utilizing along with HTML files referred to as CSS. CSS permits you to upload visible types in your XML files. moreover, you are going to the best way to layout lovely portraits and make interactive varieties utilizing XML.
* eventually, the booklet ends with a case examine, which can assist to provide you rules approximately how XML can be utilized in real-life occasions, and which can be utilized in your individual applications.
This booklet builds at the strengths of the sooner versions, and offers new fabric to mirror the adjustments within the XML landscape—notably XQuery, RSS and Atom, and AJAX. Updates were made to mirror the newest types of standards and top practices during the e-book. as well as the various alterations, every one bankruptcy has a suite of workout inquiries to try out your realizing of the cloth. attainable strategies to those questions look in Appendix A.
Part I: Introduction: The advent is the place so much readers may still start. the 1st 3 chapters introduce a number of the objectives of XML in addition to the explicit ideas for developing XML. upon getting learn this half you have to be capable of learn and create your individual XML documents.
Chapter 1: what's XML?: This bankruptcy disguise a few easy suggestions, introducing the truth that XML is a markup language (a bit like HTML) wherein you could outline your individual parts, tags, and attributes (known as a vocabulary). you will see that tags don't have any presentation meaning—they're only a approach to describe the constitution of the data.
Chapter 2: Well-Formed XML: as well as explaining what well-formed XML is, we provide a glance on the principles that exist (the XML 1.0 and 1.1 suggestions) for naming and structuring elements—you have to conform to those principles which will produce well-formed XML.
Chapter three: XML Namespaces: simply because tags might be made up, you want to steer clear of identify conflicts while sharing files. Namespaces supply the way to uniquely determine a bunch of tags, utilizing a URI. This bankruptcy explains tips on how to use namespaces.
Part II: Validation: as well as the well-formedness principles you study partially I, you'll probably are looking to the way to create and use diversified XML vocabularies. This half introduces you to DTDs, XML Schemas, and sit back NG: 3 languages that outline customized XML vocabularies. It additionally exhibits you the way to make use of those definitions to validate your XML documents.
Chapter four: rfile style Definitions: you could specify how an XML rfile could be dependent, or even offer default values, utilizing record sort Definitions (DTDs). If XML conforms to the linked DTD, it's referred to as valid XML. This bankruptcy covers the fundamentals of utilizing DTDs.
Chapter five: XML Schemas: XML Schemas, like DTDs, aid you outline how a record may be established. as well as defining record constitution, they permit you to specify the person datatypes of characteristic values and point content material. they're a extra strong replacement to DTDs.
Chapter 6: chill out NG: sit back NG is a 3rd expertise used to outline the constitution of files. as well as a brand new syntax and new beneficial properties, it takes the easiest from XML Schemas and DTDs, and is for this reason extremely simple and extremely strong. sit back NG has syntaxes; either the total syntax and compact syntax are discussed.
Part III: Processing: as well as defining and developing XML records, you must understand how to paintings with records to extract info and convert it to different codecs. in truth, simply extracting info and changing it to different codecs is what makes XML so powerful.
Chapter 7: XPath: The XPath language is used to find sections and information within the XML rfile, and it’s vital in lots of different XML technologies.
Chapter eight: XSLT: XML could be reworked into different XML files, HTML, and different codecs utilizing XSLT stylesheets, that are brought during this chapter.
Part IV: Databases: developing and processing XML records is sweet, yet finally you'll want to shop these records. This part describes options for storing and retrieving XML files and rfile fragments from assorted databases.
Chapter nine: XQuery, the XML question Language: quite often, it is very important retrieve details from inside a database. XQuery, that's outfitted on XPath and XPath2, helps you to do that in a chic way.
Chapter 10: XML and Databases: XML is ideal for structuring information, and a few conventional databases are commencing to supply aid for XML. This bankruptcy discusses those, and gives a basic evaluation of ways XML can be utilized in an n-tier structure. additionally, new databases in line with XML are introduced.
Part V: Programming: at some point soon on your XML profession, it is important to paintings with an XML record from inside of a customized program. the 2 preferred methodologies, the rfile item version (DOM) and the easy API for XML (SAX), are defined during this part.
Chapter eleven: The rfile item version (DOM): Programmers can use numerous programming languages to govern XML utilizing the rfile item Model's gadgets, interfaces, equipment, and houses, that are defined during this chapter.
Chapter 12: easy API for XML (SAX): an alternative choice to the DOM for programmatically manipulating XML information is to exploit the easy API for XML (SAX) as an interface. This bankruptcy exhibits the best way to use SAX and makes use of examples from the Java SAX API.
Part VI: Communication: Sending and receiving information from one desktop to a different is usually tough, yet a number of applied sciences were created to make conversation with XML a lot more uncomplicated. This half discusses RSS and content material syndication, in addition to net companies and cleaning soap. This version incorporates a new bankruptcy on Ajax techniques.
Chapter thirteen: RSS, Atom, and content material Syndication: RSS is an actively evolving expertise that's used to put up syndicated information tales and web site summaries on the net. This bankruptcy not just discusses tips on how to use different models of RSS and Atom, it additionally covers the long run course of the expertise. additionally, it demonstrates easy methods to create an easy newsreader program that works with any of the at present released versions.
Chapter 14: internet Services: internet prone enable you practice cross-computer communications. This bankruptcy describes internet providers and introduces you to utilizing distant strategy calls in XML (using XML-RPC and REST), in addition to supplying you with a quick examine significant issues equivalent to cleaning soap. ultimately, it breaks down the collection of standards designed to paintings at the side of net services.
Chapter 15: cleaning soap and WSDL: primary to XML net providers, the easy item entry Protocol (SOAP) is among the preferred requirements for permitting cross-computer communications. utilizing cleaning soap, you could package deal up XML files and ship them around the web to be processed. This bankruptcy explains cleaning soap and the net providers Description Language (WSDL) that's used to post your service.
Part VII: Display: a number of XML applied sciences are dedicated to showing the knowledge kept inside an XML rfile. a few of these applied sciences are web-based, and a few are designed for functions and cellular units. This half discusses the first reveal options and codecs used today.
Chapter 17: Cascading type Sheets (CSS): web site designers have lengthy been utilizing Cascading kind Sheets (CSS) with their HTML to simply make adjustments to a website’s presentation with no need to the touch the underlying HTML files. This strength can be on hand for XML, permitting you to exhibit XML files correct within the browser. Or, if you would like a piece extra flexibility together with your presentation, you should use XSLT to rework your XML to HTML or XHTML after which use CSS to variety those documents.
Chapter 18: XHTML: XHTML is a brand new model of HTML that follows the foundations of XML. This bankruptcy discusses the diversities among HTML and XHTML, and exhibits you the way XHTML can assist make your websites to be had to a much wider number of browsers, from legacy browsers to the most recent browsers on cellular phones.
Chapter 19: Scalable Vector snap shots (SVG): do you need to provide a customized image utilizing XML? SVG allows you to describe a photo utilizing XML-based vector instructions. This bankruptcy teaches you the fundamentals of SVG after which dives right into a extra advanced SVG-based software that may be released to the Internet.
Chapter 20: XForms: XForms are XML-based kinds that may be used to layout computer purposes, paper-based types, and naturally XHTML-based kinds. This bankruptcy demonstrates either the fundamentals and a few of the extra attention-grabbing makes use of of XForms.
Part VIII: Case Study: during the ebook you’ll achieve an figuring out of the way XML is utilized in net, business-to-business (B2B), facts garage, and lots of different purposes. The case learn covers an instance program and indicates how the speculation might be positioned into perform in real-life occasions. The case learn is new to this edition.
Chapter 21: Case research: cost Calculator: this situation learn explores many of the chances and techniques for utilizing XML on your web site. It contains an instance that demonstrates a mortgage fee calculator via making a online page utilizing XHTML and CSS, speaking with a neighborhood net provider utilizing AJAX, using an XML Schema to construct info constructions in .NET, and eventually utilizing the record item version to show the consequences in SVG. a web model of this situation learn at the book's web site covers a similar fabric utilizing Ruby on Rails rather than .NET.
Appendixes: Appendix A presents solutions to the workout questions that seem in the course of the ebook. the remainder appendixes supply reference fabric that you could be locate helpful as you start to use the data received through the e-book on your personal purposes. those are: Appendix B: XPath Reference; Appendix C: XSLT Reference; Appendix D: The XML rfile item version; Appendix E: XML Schema aspect and characteristic Reference; Appendix F: XML Schema Datatypes Reference; Appendix G: SAX 2.0.2 Reference. Appendixes A, B, and C are integrated in the ebook; Appendixes D–G can be found at the book's website.
By Wei-Meng Lee
Beginning iPad program Development will aid jumpstart your iPad improvement. It covers issues steadily so that you examine with out being crushed via information. It adopts the philosophy that the way to study is through doing, for this reason the various check it out sections, which first make it easier to construct whatever after which clarify how issues paintings. to really reap the benefits of this publication, you will have a few history in programming and at the very least be acquainted with object-oriented programming innovations. assurance includes:
- getting all started with Xcode and Interface Builder to construct a hi international application
- fundamental strategies of iPad programming: shops and actions
- UI widgets referred to as perspectives that make up the iPad software consumer interface
- view controllers on hand within the iPhone SDK and varieties of iPad purposes - View-based, Window-based, break up View-based, and Tab Bar applications
- how to house the iPad’s digital keyboard, conceal the keyboard on call for, and confirm perspectives will not be blocked by way of the keyboard while it truly is displayed
- reorient the application's UI whilst the equipment is turned around or strength an software to show in a undeniable orientation
- using the desk view is to exhibit rows of knowledge and enforcing seek services in desk view
- using software settings to persist program preferences
- persisting software information through saving the knowledge to records within the application's sandbox directory
- using the embedded SQLite3 database library to shop data
- implementing animations
- using gesture recognizers within the iPhone SDK to interpret user's enter gestures
- access the iPad accelerometer and detecting equipment shakes
- communicating with internet prone and their data
- publishing providers at the community utilizing Bonjour
- implementing functions that use push notifications
- building location-based companies purposes, acquiring geographical destinations information, showing a map
- an evaluate of the Objective-C language
If you have ever spent hours renaming documents or updating 1000s of spreadsheet cells, you understand how tedious initiatives like those could be. yet what when you may have your desktop do them for you?
In Automate the dull Stuff with Python, you are going to methods to use Python to jot down courses that do in mins what might take you hours to do by means of hand—no past programming adventure required. as soon as you could have mastered the fundamentals of programming, you are going to create Python courses that without difficulty practice important and bold feats of automation to:
- Search for textual content in a dossier or throughout a number of files
- Create, replace, stream, and rename records and folders
- Search the net and obtain on-line content
- Update and layout information in Excel spreadsheets of any size
- Split, merge, watermark, and encrypt PDFs
- Send reminder emails and textual content notifications
- Fill out on-line forms
Step-by-step directions stroll you thru every one application, and perform tasks on the finish of every bankruptcy problem you to enhance these courses and use your newfound talents to automate related tasks.
Don't spend some time doing paintings a well-trained monkey may do. no matter if you have got by no means written a line of code, you may make your computing device do the grunt paintings. find out how in Automate the uninteresting Stuff with Python.
By Jeff Atwood
In regards to the BOOK
Jeff Atwood all started the Coding Horror weblog in 2004, and is confident that it replaced his existence. He wanted the way to retain tune of software program improvement over the years – no matter what he was once pondering or engaged on. He researched topics he chanced on attention-grabbing, then documented his learn with a public web publication submit, which he might simply locate and discuss with later. over the years, expanding numbers of web publication viewers came across the posts worthwhile, correct and engaging. Now, nearly 100,000 readers stopover at the web publication in keeping with day and approximately as many remark and engage at the site.
Effective Programming: greater than Writing Code is your one-stop store for all issues programming. Jeff writes with humor and figuring out, making an allowance for either pro programmers and beginners to understand the intensity of his learn. From such posts as
“The Programmer’s invoice of Rights” and “Why Cant Programmers... Program?” to “Working With the Chaos Monkey,” this ebook introduces the significance of writing in charge code, the logistics concerned, and the way humans may still view it extra as a life-style than a career.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jeff Atwood lives in Berkeley, CA together with his spouse, cats, 3 youngsters and a complete lot of pcs. He used to be weaned as a software program developer on a variety of implementations of Microsoft easy within the '80s, beginning along with his first microcomputer, the Texas tools TI-99/4a. Atwood persevered at the notebook with visible uncomplicated 3.0 and home windows 3.1 within the early ’90s, even if he additionally spent major time writing Pascal code within the first types of Delphi. he's now relatively cozy in VB.NET or C#, regardless of the evils of case sensitivity. He's at present studying Ruby.
Atwood considers himself a fairly skilled net software program developer with a specific curiosity within the human aspect of software program improvement, as represented in his prompt developer analyzing record. As he avers, desktops are interesting machines, yet they're regularly a mirrored image of the folks utilizing them. within the paintings of software program improvement, learning code isn't sufficient; you need to learn the folk at the back of the software program, too.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- The artwork of having Shit Done
- rules of fine Programming
- Hiring Programmers the perfect Way
- Getting Your staff to paintings Together
- The Batcave: powerful Workspaces for Programmers
- Designing With the consumer in Mind
- safeguard fundamentals: conserving Your Users' Data
- checking out Your Code, So it Doesn't Suck greater than it Has To
- development, coping with and taking advantage of a Community
- advertising and marketing Weasels and the way to not Be One
- retaining Your Priorities directly
PostGIS in motion, moment Edition teaches readers of all degrees to write down spatial queries that clear up real-world difficulties. It first offers a history in vector-, raster-, and topology-based GIS after which speedy strikes into interpreting, viewing, and mapping facts. This moment variation covers PostGIS 2.0 and 2.1 sequence, PostgreSQL 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3 good points, and exhibits you the way to combine with different GIS tools.
Purchase of the print ebook contains a unfastened book in PDF, Kindle, and ePub codecs from Manning Publications.
About the Book
Processing info tied to situation and topology calls for really expert information. PostGIS is a loose spatial database extender for PostgreSQL, each piece pretty much as good as proprietary software program. With it, you could simply create location-aware queries in precisely a number of strains of SQL code and construct the again finish for a mapping, raster research, or routing software with minimum effort.
PostGIS in motion, moment Edition teaches you to resolve real-world geodata difficulties. It first grants a heritage in vector-, raster-, and topology-based GIS after which quick strikes into examining, viewing, and mapping facts. you are going to how to optimize queries for max pace, simplify geometries for better potency, and create customized capabilities to your personal functions. you are going to additionally tips on how to practice your current GIS wisdom to PostGIS and combine with different GIS tools.
Familiarity with relational database and GIS techniques is beneficial yet now not required.
- An advent to spatial databases
- Geometry, geography, raster, and topology spatial varieties, features, and queries
- Applying PostGIS to real-world problems
- Extending PostGIS to internet and computing device applications
- Updated for PostGIS 2.x and PostgreSQL 9.x
About the Authors
Regina Obe and Leo Hsu are database experts and authors. Regina is a member of the PostGIS middle improvement staff and the undertaking steerage Committee.
Table of Contents
- What is a spatial database?
- Spatial facts types
- Spatial reference procedure considerations
- Working with genuine data
- Using PostGIS at the desktop
- Geometry and geography functions
- Raster functions
- PostGIS TIGER geocoder
- Geometry relationships
- Proximity analysis
- Geometry and geography processing
- Raster processing
- Building and utilizing topologies
- Organizing spatial data
- Query functionality tuning
- Extending PostGIS with pgRouting and procedural languages
- Using PostGIS in net applications
PART 1 advent TO POSTGIS
PART 2 placing POSTGIS TO WORK
PART three utilizing POSTGIS WITH different TOOLS
By Afshin Mehrabani
Design and boost remarkable lively net functions utilizing CreateJS
About This Book
- Illustrates using EaselJS API to customise and increase functionality of advanced applications
- Provides strategies to universal difficulties confronted by means of CreateJS users
Who This ebook Is For
What you'll Learn
- Install and configure CreateJS
- Implement the drag-and-drop interactions
- Utilize HTML5 to advance complicated animations with EaselJS and TweenJS
- Improve animation rendering with caching techniques
- Enhance photographs and shapes utilizing filters like hue
- Build a UI utilizing CreateJS
Starting with the fundamentals of CreateJS, you'll create your first operating internet program. you'll achieve sensible event of using good points like drag-and-drop, caching, filtering, and portray, to construct visually amazing net applications.
Filled with sensible examples and huge descriptions, this e-book starts off via aiding you with fitting and configuring the CreateJS suite in numerous environments. you are going to then detect the EaselJS API and enforce the fundamental gadgets and strategies. you are going to development to create animations in CreateJS utilizing TweenJS and may learn how to optimize the functionality of animations for greater rendering in several browsers.
You also will learn how to use the Vector mask to create a number of layers at the canvas.Finally, you'll achieve the services to improve your personal internet functions, wealthy with beautiful visible renditions and a hands-on adventure of operating with CreateJS.
This is a definitive advisor for someone who's making plans to take advantage of the prolific CreateJS suite to increase compelling net applications.
By Alan Harris, Konstantin Haase
Sinatra serves as a light-weight wrapper round Rack middleware, with syntax that maps heavily to capabilities uncovered by way of HTTP verbs, which makes it perfect for internet providers and APIs. in case you have event construction purposes with Ruby, you are going to fast examine language basics and notice under-the-hood thoughts, with assistance from numerous sensible examples. Then you will get hands-on adventure with Sinatra by means of development your personal weblog engine.
- Learn Sinatra's center suggestions, and start via construction an easy application
- Create perspectives, deal with classes, and paintings with Sinatra direction definitions
- Become accustomed to the language's internals, and take a better examine Rack
- Use varied subclass equipment for development versatile and powerful architectures
- Put Sinatra to paintings: construct a weblog that takes good thing about provider hooks supplied by way of the GitHub API
By Jon Raasch, Graham Murray, Vadim Ogievetsky
All of the major options and instruments are defined during this full-color, step by step consultant. The significant other site contains all pattern codes used to generate the visualizations within the publication, information units, and hyperlinks to the libraries and different assets covered.
- Discover certain, step by step instructions for development particular forms of information visualizations during this full-color guide
- Find compelling tales in complicated information, and create remarkable visualizations cost-effectively
By Guy Cousineau
A programming direction should still pay attention to a program's logical constitution and layout instead of on easily writing code. The useful method of programming achieves this objective simply because logical recommendations are obtrusive and courses are obvious, and so could be written quick and cleanly. during this publication, the authors emphasize the notions of functionality and relate programming to prevalent thoughts from arithmetic and common sense. They introduce sensible programming through examples but additionally clarify what courses compute and the way to cause approximately them. They exhibit how the guidelines will be applied within the Caml language, a dialect of the ML relations, and provides examples of the way complicated courses from a number of components (such as mathematics, tree algorithms, graph algorithms, textual content parsing and geometry) may be built in shut contract with their requisites. Many routines and examples are integrated during the ebook; strategies also are to be had. An appendix supplies the entire code utilized in the publication in commonplace ML.
By Bill Sempf
Visible easy is Microsoft's foremost programming language, utilized by greater than 3 million builders and in 50 million home windows functions. Programming professional and veteran Wrox writer invoice Sempf has completely overhauled the book's association and content material, making it much more obtainable to programming novices. It highlights new VB beneficial properties and features, together with vital advances in compatibility with older VB types. It bargains undeniable English factors of variables, constants, loops, VB syntax, types, controls, items, and different basics. The CD-ROM contains all resource code and 3rd get together software program instruments.